The 61st Annual ACUBE Meeting is being held at
October 20-21, 2017
Now in its 61st year, the annual ACUBE meeting gathers biology educators from colleges and universities across the country and beyond for a highly dynamic and interactive conference. In line with ACUBE’s mission, we come together to incubate new and innovative teaching ideas, to discuss strategies to involve student research in the biology curriculum, to improve advising and mentoring skills, to become informed about and contribute to the scholarship of teaching and learning, and to develop and recognize excellence in teaching. The meeting’s program includes a keynote session, “When group work doesn’t work: Insights from students” by Dr. Peggy Brickman as well as round-tables, workshops, short presentations and poster sessions. Faculty present from the whole spectrum of subdisciplines within biology. Come to be inspired and leave energized! If you are interested in submitting an abstract, you will need to submit your abstract at the time of registration. We hope you will join us for this exciting and highly collaborative gathering of colleagues dedicated to teaching excellence in biology.
The fee for the 2017 conference includes all keynote and concurrent sessions, 2 continental breakfasts, two lunches, and 2 dinner receptions on Friday and Saturday evenings.
You can reduce your costs even more by taking advantage of generous discounts for early registration and for adjuncts, graduate students, postdocs and faculty at community and technical colleges.
Purchase tickets at Eventbrite.
Tentative Meeting Schedule:
Thursday October 19
Steering Committee Meeting
Friday October 20 (Registration open all day)
8:30-9:00, Welcome Session
9:00-10:00, Keynote Speaker
12:00-1:00, ACUBE Member’s meeting and Lunch
12:30-1:00, Bioscene Meeting
6:00-8:00, Dinner sponsored by HHMI
Saturday October 21
12:00 -12:30, Luncheon
12:30-3:30, Field Trips
5:00-6:00, Poster Session and cocktail hour
6:00-8:00, Dinner and Awards
8:00-10:00, Steering Committee Meeting
Peggy Brickman, Ph.D.
Peggy Brickman is a Josiah Meigs Distinguished Teaching Professor in Plant Biology in the Division of Biological Sciences at the University of Georgia. Her Ph.D. in Genetics from U.C. Berkeley in 1993 infused her with a love of teaching which has persisted even after instructing 30,000 introductory biology students over the past 20 years, usually in large sections with over 300 students each. The sheer madness of this setting inspired her to develop and assess multiple types of active learning strategies designed to improve large group instruction. She migrated to education research in 2001 receiving NSF funding and gaining recognition as the 2008 Georgia State Regents Award for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. She researches (1) gains in achievement and motivation to learn science in general education courses, (2) effectiveness of novel curriculum for teaching these courses, and (3) preparation and mentoring for faculty. Brickman has served as a National Academies Fellow in the Life Sciences since 2004 and continues to mentor graduate students, post-doctoral fellows and faculty as a National Academies Speaker and Facilitator.
Keynote Address: When Group Work Doesn’t Work: Insights from Students.
Field Trip Options:
1) South Carolina State Museum and Planetarium Show (Sea Monsters- A Prehistoric Adventure) ($15.00) (www.scmuseum.org)
2) Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens ($15.00) (www.riverbanks.org)
3) Trip to Congaree National Park with interpretive tour ($15.00) (https://www.nps.gov/cong/index.htm)
1913 Huger Street
Columbia, SC 29201
One Bedroom 2 Queen Suite – $139
King Studio Suites – $129
Rate to include a full hot breakfast buffet, free wi-fi, free open onsite parking
Mention the ACUBE conference to get group rate
Cut off date for booking in block– Oct. 10, 2017
3.5 miles from Columbia College
8.8 miles from CAE airport
Hyatt Place Columbia/Downtown/ The Vista
819 Gervais Street Columbia
South Carolina 29201
King Room $149
2 Queen Beds $159
From the Hyatt Place Columbia website:
- We are Columbia’s Newest Downtown Hotel and located in the heart of the restaurant and art district of downtown Columbia.
- Included in your room rate is wireless internet, our signature hot breakfast buffet and guest self-parking.
- We are a downtown property within walking distance of over 60 restaurants and nightlife.
- Your room will be equipped with a mini refrigerator, a 42″ LED TV with 155 Direct TV channels, & a large sofa that doubles as a full sized pull out.
- We have a complimentary shuttle that runs within a 3 mile radius of our hotel. It is first come, first serve and seats up to 7 people.
- We have an indoor heated saltwater pool and a fitness center on our second floor.
- We also have a full bar and a 24/7 menu that you can order off of and pick up at the front desk.
- We offer Valet Services for $22.00 per day. Should your guests choose this option, they would be responsible for payment.
Mention the ACUBE conference to get group rate
4 miles from Columbia College
7.4miles from CAE airport